The Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm (www.remickmuseum.org), located in the historic village of Tamworth, NH, seeks a full-time (40 hr/week) curator beginning in late spring 2017. This is a new position reporting to the Executive Director and the successful candidate will oversee collections management, exhibit research & installation, and historic structures and interiors. The Curator will be a key member of the management team and this is a unique opportunity for someone with a background in American studies with a passion for rural history, preferably New England c. 1800-1950s. Interest in agricultural and/or medical history is a plus given the wide interpretive focus of this institution.
The Curator will be involved in all aspects of the institution and assist in developing a site-wide interpretative plan that celebrates our agricultural heritage and the world of the country doctor. Duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide collections management including update/maintenance of the PastPerfect database, assessment of the permanent collection, creation of a systematic plan for collections’ development, review and updating of curatorial policies and procedures, etc.
- Oversee maintenance and upkeep of exhibit areas within the Museum Center and historic Captain Enoch Remick House, as well as within agricultural outbuildings located throughout the property.
- Develop outdoor interpretive signage for self-guided tours encouraging visitor exploration of the entire museum site.
- Assist with writing content for publications such as quarterly newsletter and brochures, as well as the website, social media and electronic communications.
- Participate in special events and community outreach.
- Supervise volunteers, interns, and/or staff assisting with curatorial tasks and projects.
Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in American studies, social or public history, with a minimum of 5-years experience in a museum or historical society, preferably as a curator or in collections management. Qualifications must include proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and PastPerfect software. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, creative and a team player who is comfortable working in a rural setting. Remick is an EOE and offers a competitive salary with health benefits and PTO.
Applications consisting of a cover letter and resume should be directed to: Curator Search, Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm, 58 Cleveland Hill Road, Tamworth, NH 03886. Fax 603-323-8362 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.