Preserving the past, to educate the future.
603.323.7591 | 800.686.6117
1996–2016... Celebrating 20 years! 

The Captain Enoch Remick House

Fall-swatch.JPG
Photo Strip Picture




The Captain Enoch Remick House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is open for guided tours and seasonal events.

The Captain Enoch Remick House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its influence on the town of Tamworth and for its significant architectural qualities. This impressive house contains the antique furnishings of the Remick family, an antique toy collection, and 19th-century murals attributed to the American painter John Avery. The original medical office and medicine room, used by both Dr. Remicks, are preserved in the home as well.

The house is the “crown jewel” of the Museum and provides visitors a unique way to learn about the past. Your guided tour will walk you through each room and reveal facts and lore about the house, its changing uses, the Remick medical practice, and its inhabitants and historic connections to Tamworth Village. One particularly interesting connection is to The Barnstormers Theater (one of the longest running professional summer theaters in the country), which is located next door to the house. Take a tour to learn what that connection is.

Be sure to make time for a tour during your visit!




GUIDED TOURS
The house is open for guided tours only during late spring, summer and early fall, or by chance for special occassions and events. Admission is included with your $5 general admission. 


SPRING, LATE SUMMER & FALL 2016

Monday–Saturday ~ House Tour at 11AM
May 28–June 25 | September 10–October 8
The house is open for tours only. No tour available during Harvest Festival ~ Saturday, September 24, 2016.
Closed Memorial Day 


SUMMER 2016

MONDAY–SATURDAY ~ House Tour at 11AM
A Visit to the Doctors Remick Tour at 1PM

June 27–September 3

See/print the Captain Enoch Remick House brochure.


  

Timeline History of the House
The Captain Enoch Remick House was built in 1808 in a Federal Architectural style, but later additions resulted in Greek Revival and Italianate influences. It was passed down through six generations of Remicks, each of which contributed greatly to local history and lore. Members of the Remick family occupied the house from 1808–1993, the year Dr. Edwin C. Remick passed away. 

1779
The property where the house stands was purchased by Enoch Remick, a shipwright from Newmarket, NH.

1808
Enoch’s fourth son, John, also a shipwright and joiner, built the house.

1820s
Captain Enoch Remick, the youngest child of John Remick, moved into the house and opened an inn. The house also served as a stop- and change-over station for the Center Harbor–Conway stage coach route. Captain Enoch Remick was the first sherriff of Carroll County.

1867
The house was sold to Nathaniel Hubbard, who married Sarah Remick, the daughter of Captain Enoch Remick, in 1868. Nathanial was one of the wealthiest men in Tamworth, and their farm was one of the most prosperous.

1904
Upon Sarah’s death, her real estate was split between her three nephews because she had no children of her own. One nephew, Dr. Edwin Remick, bought out his siblings’ inheritance and moved into the house with his wife, Emily, and baby boy, Edwin C. Remick and opened a medical office out of the home.




Other Dates Related to the Use of the House


1911: 
Emily Crafts Remick, the wife of the Senior Doctor, passed away from pneumonia at age 49.

1929: Edwin C. Remick graduated from Tufts University and joined his father’s medical practice. He and his wife, Marion Miles Remick, lived nearby in what had been the Wiggin House (Building that houses the main part of the Museum Center).

1935: The senior doctor died, leaving the medical practice to his son.

1993: Dr. Edwin C. Remick died. Under the terms of his will, he left his property in a trust that formed the Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm.

1996: The Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm opened to the public.

site by Drive Brand Studio >