#RemickMuseum      

Four seasons of healthful, farm-fresh experiences.
603.323.7591

Dandelion-Kids.jpg
Photo Strip Picture




The Captain Enoch Remick House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is open for guided tours and seasonal events.



THE WORK OF THE DOCTORS’ REMICK

The Remick Country Doctor Tour

at the Captain Enoch Remick House

WED., FRI., SAT. | 11AM | JUNE 16–AUGUST 28, 2021

____________

Preregistration required by 2PM the day prior. Face masks are required for this indoor tour.

Complete your visit to New England’s only country doctor museum with a trip to the doctors’ office!
Learn about the history of healthcare, the country doctor lifestyle, and the Doctors Remicks' combined 99 years of community medical service, against the backdrop of their beautiful two-century-old family home. This brief guided tour features the doctors’ authentic 19th- and 20th-century medical tools and equipment, their visitation and treatment areas, and a one-of-a-kind historic apothecary that predates the earliest local pharmacy. 

  

THE TOUR

The Country Doctor Tour emphasizes these themes:

  • Cradle-to-grave healthcare

  • Infectious disease and immunity

  • Medical equipment and reference materials

GENERAL INFORMATION

  • Preregistration is required by 2PM the day prior to your chosen tour date. 

  • This tour is open to ages 12 and over and space is limited to 10 (ten) persons.

  • As a COVID-19 precaution, all participants must wear a mask.

  • The house is located adjacent to the farm grounds on Great Hill Rd.; please allow about 10 minutes for your walk from our parking lot to the house. A drop-off area and parking are available at the house for those with mobility concerns. However, keep in mind that this historic building is only accessible via granite steps. 

  • The tour, including time spent with the exhibits, is approximately 45 minutes.
     

Cost: $5  Includes access to the farm grounds.
Preregister by calling 603-323-7591.

  

____________

Timeline History of the House
The Captain Enoch Remick House was built in 1808 in a Federal Architectural style, but later additions resulted in Greek Revival and Italianate influences. It was passed down through six generations of the Remick family, each of which contributed greatly to local history and lore. Members of the Remick family occupied the house from 1808–1993, the year Dr. Edwin C. Remick passed away. 

1779
The property on which the house stands was purchased by Enoch Remick, a shipwright from Newmarket, NH.

1808
Enoch’s fourth son, John, also a shipwright and joiner, built the house.

1820s
Captain Enoch Remick, the youngest child of John Remick, moved into the house and opened an inn. The house also served as a stop- and change-over station for the Center Harbor–Conway stagecoach route. Captain Enoch Remick was the first sheriff of Carroll County.

1867
The house was sold to Nathaniel Hubbard, who married Sarah Remick, the daughter of Captain Enoch Remick, in 1868. Nathanial was one of the wealthiest men in Tamworth, and their farm was one of the most prosperous.

1904
Upon Sarah’s death, her real estate was split between her three nephews because she had no children of her own. One nephew, Dr. Edwin Remick, bought out his siblings’ inheritance and moved into the house with his wife, Emily, and baby boy, Edwin C. Remick and opened a medical office out of the home.


Other Dates Related to the Use of the House


1911: 
Emily Crafts Remick, the wife of the Senior Doctor, passed away from pneumonia at age 49.

1929: Edwin C. Remick graduated from Tufts University and joined his father’s medical practice. He and his wife, Marion Miles Remick, lived nearby in what had been the Wiggin House (Building that houses the main part of the Museum Center).

1935: The senior doctor died, leaving the medical practice to his son.

1993: Dr. Edwin C. Remick died. Under the terms of his will, he left his property in a trust that formed the Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm.

1996: The Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm opened to the public.

site by Drive Brand Studio >