#RemickMuseum      

Healthful, farm-fresh experiences for all generations.
(603) 323-7591

Goat-closeup.jpg
Photo Strip Picture




The Captain Enoch Remick House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.



THE WORK OF THE DOCTORS’ REMICK

The Remick Country Doctor

Medical History Tour

at the Captain Enoch Remick House

TUESDAY–SATURDAY | 11AM | PREREGISTRATION REQUIRED

____________

Complete your visit to New England’s only country doctor museum with a trip to the doctors’ office.
Visit the Captain Enoch Remick House (on the National Register of Historic Places) to learn about the history of healthcare, the country doctor lifestyle, and the combined 99 years of community medical service provided by father-and-son doctors — the Doctors Remick — against the backdrop of their stately 200+-year-old family home. This guided tour features the doctors’ authentic 19th- and 20th-century medical tools and equipment, their visitation and treatment areas, and a one-of-a-kind historic apothecary that predates the earliest local pharmacy. Following the formal tour, visitors are welcome to view an accompanying medical exhibit in the dining room of the house. Tour and viewing length: 45–60 minutes.

The tour and accompanying exhibit emphasize these themes:

  • Cradle-to-grave healthcare
  • Infectious disease and immunity
  • Medical equipment and reference materials

  

Cost: $6 | $5 for members
Ages 12 and over (ages 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult).
Preregister at the front desk 30 minutes prior to tour start or by calling (603) 323-7591. Space is limited, we suggest calling ahead to ensure a spot. 

Registration & Cancellation Policies

This activity is part of our Summer Activities, Tours & Farm Fun schedule.

  

RELATED TOUR: Tuesday–Saturday | 1PM
The Extended Remick Country Doctor Medical History Tour combines the details of this tour with a visit to Doc and Marion Remick’s modest 2nd-floor apartment, located in the Museum Center and accessible only by joining this tour. Note: The apartment is not accessible by wheelchair.

____________

The Captain Enoch Remick House ~ A Timeline History
The Captain Enoch Remick House was built in 1808 in a Federal Architectural style, but later additions resulted in Greek Revival and Italianate influences. It was passed down through six generations of the Remick family, each of which contributed greatly to local history and lore. Members of the Remick family occupied the house from 1808–1993, the year Dr. Edwin C. Remick passed away. 

1779
The property on which the house stands was purchased by Enoch Remick, a shipwright from Newmarket, NH.

1808
Enoch’s fourth son, John, also a shipwright and joiner, built the house.

1820s
Captain Enoch Remick, the youngest child of John Remick, moved into the house and opened an inn. The house also served as a stop- and change-over station for the Center Harbor–Conway stagecoach route. Captain Enoch Remick was the first sheriff of Carroll County.

1867
The house was sold to Nathaniel Hubbard, who married Sarah Remick, the daughter of Captain Enoch Remick, in 1868. Nathanial was one of the wealthiest men in Tamworth, and their farm was one of the most prosperous.

1904
Upon Sarah’s death, her real estate was split between her three nephews because she had no children of her own. One nephew, Dr. Edwin Remick, bought out his siblings’ inheritance and moved into the house with his wife, Emily, and baby boy, Edwin C. Remick and opened a medical office out of the home.


Other Dates Related to the Use of the House


1911: 
Emily Crafts Remick, the wife of the Senior Doctor, passed away from pneumonia at age 49.

1929: Edwin C. Remick graduated from Tufts University and joined his father’s medical practice. He and his wife, Marion Miles Remick, lived nearby in what had been the Wiggin House (Building that houses the main part of the Museum Center).

1935: The senior doctor died, leaving the medical practice to his son.

1993: Dr. Edwin C. Remick died. Under the terms of his will, he left his property in a trust that formed the Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm.

1996: The Remick Country Doctor Museum & Farm opened to the public.

site by Drive Brand Studio >